UCAN Weatherization Program
The primary goals of UCAN's Weatherization Program are to help residents lower their utility bills, reduce energy use, and to improve their home's safety and durability. We work with homeowners and renters at no cost or reduced cost. When we have available funding, after receipt of a qualifying application, our staff perform an energy audit of a home. All work is performed on a case-by-case basis depending on the home and its needs. Based on what we learn, we may offer to:
- Add floor and/or ceiling insulation
- Seal ducts
- Add weather stripping
- Perform health and safety repairs
- Replace or repair inefficient appliances
A contractor performs the work. Our staff then inspects the work to ensure it has been done properly. Some measures, such as insulating ceilings or floors can provide savings for the lifetime of a home-25 years of more. Other measures, such as making heating or cooling more efficient, provide cost savings for 10-15 years.
As an additional service, we provide qualifying residents with conservation kits that include:
- 13 watt compact fluorescent bulb
- Low-flow kitchen sink aerator
- Low-flow bathroom sink aerator
- Safety caps for electrical outlets
- Foam outlet switch covers
- Refrigerator thermometer
- Low-flow showerhead
- Light switch cover with temperature and humidity display
- LED night light
In some cases, we also distribute window kits and additional compact fluorescent lights.
If you know someone who would like to reduce their energy bill, please have them call (541) 492-3902 in Douglas County.
In Josephine County, please have them call (541) 956-4064.